The Need in Natrona
Natrona is a community within Harrison Township, Allegheny County. The community rests along the Allegheny River at Lock and Dam Four - about 25 miles northeast of Pittsburgh. Natrona originally was called East Tarentum after it was built by the Pennsylvania Salt Manufacturing Company in the 1850s. The company operated until 1959. The area is listed in the National Register of Historic Places as the Pennsalt Historic District. It is part of Harrison Township and the Highlands School District.